Thursday, November 20, 2008

Turkey


We stopped in two places in Turkey. The first was the ancient city of Ephesus. The port city is now called Izmir, but Ephesus was one of the 7 churches in Asia Minor right before the apostasy. This is supposedly where John wrote his Gospel, Paul preached (letters to the Ephesians ringing any bells?), and where the Virgin Mary's house is. The ruins of Ephesus are also some of the most well-preserved in the world, since the cause for its desertion was disease instead of war, natural disaster, etc. It was the coolest place and I loved feeling like I was walking where ancient Apostles walked! I especially loved seeing Mary's house and imaging her living out the remainder of her days there.






There was also a huge amphitheater where they would punish and persecute Christians. This is also where many of the Gladiators fought. This is Kevin pretending he is a Gladiator.


The second place we stopped was in Istanbul. I have to say Turkey was completely different than I expected. The country is working fervently on becoming a member of the European Union and, as such, are surprisingly modern. Everyone speaks English, everything is really clean, the roads are brand new and the people are more than enthusiastic about introducing you to their culture and country. Turkey is technically considered both Europe and Asia, so it also has a wide variety of culture and influence.


This is one of the most famous mosques. We got there right when they were calling people to prayer over the loudspeaker. It is known for the blue tiles surrounding the inside and is often called the Blue Mosque.


It really was beautiful inside. We had to take off our shoes and they even thought my shade shirt was too immodest on the arms and made me wear this blue cloth around me. I was embarrassed that I hadn't dressed appropriately for their religion and kept wondering if they looked at me like I was a sinful infidel. Oh well.


Right across the street from the Blue Mosque is the Haggia Sophia. Interestingly enough, it was a Christian church and then a mosque and is now a museum of the combination.


One of my favorite parts about Turkey was this cute lady. We went down into some old cisterns under the city and I offered her my arm as we went down the stairs. She never left my side after that! She was 85 years old and I was actually amazed at how well she did! She climbed back up those stairs holding my hand but without a pause! She also went with Kevin and I all around the Bazaar after this as well and could haggle like nothing you've ever seen! I always get so nervous because I feel like I am taking advantage of people who need more than I do, but these people adored her while she practically got things for free! It was the funniest thing I've ever seen! I actually got a letter in the mail from her last week saying how much she loved us! She also bought me the funny hat in the picture! Such a cute lady!

No comments: