Thursday, November 20, 2008

Egypt


Egypt was one of the craziest places I've ever been! Because we are cheap and love an adventure, this was another one of the places where we decided to go off on our own instead of going with the cruise tours. For the first 20 minutes I was honestly afraid for my life. It is incredibly poor - surprisingly so. Even worse, it is filthy. There is garbage everywhere and I mean everywhere. Even at the pyramids there was garbage spread everywhere. It is also corrupt. The government there is terrible and take advantage of the people and the resources. It really is such a hard place to explain. If you want to hear more about it, call me and I'll show you some videos we took that still don't do it justice.


Seeing the pyramids was incredible though. I really couldn't believe we were there! We took these skinny horses and rode all around the desert and all through the pyramids. The cute guide who took us was so funny and kept making us pose in funny positions in front of the pyramids. He also kept trying to get Kevin to kiss me on the cheek while we were on our horses, but this turned out to be rather difficult and took us like 10 minutes since the guide would not give up on it! It was so funny!


My favorite thing was riding the camel. I have always wanted to and I was soooo excited for this part! I really thought it was the best thing ever and giggled the entire time. I am laughing now as I am thinking about it! It's amazing how tall they really are and it is almost like a roller coaster ride when they sit down and stand up. It was so fun! I can't wait to do it again!


We also got to go to the Cairo Museum while we were here. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us take any pictures inside, but it was amazing! This is where all of the mummies are (which are the freakiest looking things ever!), all of King Tut's treasure and tons of other cool things! The place is filled with these scary cops in their government so we didn't even dare try to take some! Almost every single cop we passed asked if we were married and then asked Kevin how many wives he had. I guess they have at least 3 each there and it shows how manly you are the more they have. I told them I was enough woman for 3 others.


This was our crazy taxi driver that drove us around all day. He was really nice, but also had to keep stopping to get some tea - at a few places where we would get really nervous. An hour into though, we decided if it was our time to go, we would and it would be okay. After that, we really didn't worry.


The port we stopped in here was the city of Alexandria. It looks beautiful from out here so I thought I would end on this pretty note.

No comments: